Garden Oaks Fine Accommodation, a.k.a. GOFA, has roots that go far beyond our first property, a 1914 Edwardian Manse purchased in 1989.
Our story is one of patience and "slow build", focused more on relationships than dollar signs. We find that the former guarantees the latter. That's why we hold to a high standard in all of our services from leased rentals and short-stay accommodations to concept and project design through Inspired Living. Our management consulting services are provided directly or through IRM Strategies.
We appreciate your visit and invite you to explore the website.
Lease / rental accommodation
- Longer term tenants finds quality one, two and three-bedroom apartments available under a one year lease that conforms to British Columbia laws and regulations. Enjoy the ambiance of a home but with the convenience of apartment living.
- Essential coordination is provided by Devon or Tyler when GOFA partners John and Rob are away on project assignments.
- Groundskeeping is provided by Colin and crew for selected GOFA properties.
- Housekeeping services may be arranged if required.
- Please ask about our waiting list and let us know of your needs.
Oaklands 8 - our new short stay, self-catered vacation suite.
- Book your stay through our contact form or visit HomeAwayfor detailed information.
- Oaklands 8 is listed internationally and we are pleased to offer discounts through selected sites where these have been arranged. Please understand that we are unable to combine discounts.
Architectural Concept Design and renovation, design and decoration of interiors and exterior living spaces
- With expertise built over 20 years of property management, concept design and execution in residential and corporate settings, GOFA partner John J. O'Brien brings a pragmatic eye to creating results that go beyond the expected.
- Inspired living services are wide ranging and may be structured on a time, project or retainer basis. Please select "Projects" from the drop down menu and let us know of your situation and interests.
Property acquisition projects & management consulting
Considering getting into the residential property market in British Columbia? GOFA partners are experienced in interpretation of the B.C. Residential Tenancy Act and it's implications for landlords and tenants. As a member of the Rental Owners and Managers Society (ROMS), GOFA is well positioned to assist new and experienced landlords in improving practices.
- A complete operational manual is available on a subscription basis only. Your subscription includes access to a coach as set out in the agreement.
We are proud of the sense of community we have retained with current and former tenants--many of whom keep in touch and refer friends looking for rental and lease apartments.
Who are we?
Partner & owner John J. O'Brien, CRM, MALT, comes from a family of residential property owners with knowledge and experience passed down from parents and grandparents. Their US-based commercial and residential property holdings provided a great opportunity for an inquisitive youngster to learn. John notes that he learned as much or more from observing mistakes as from appreciating their many successes. The result is today's solid foundation for customer service and property management. It's our philosophy.
John's experience includes also project management related to built-to-suit and renovated residential and commercial properties. He oversaw and contributed design to a specialized office and warehouse operation in Richmond, B.C., and two similar operations in Victoria, B.C., for the then Ministry of Social Services & Housing. He designed interiors for a large Thai apartment and two Hong Kong residences. Currently, he is working on a development plan for a 1919 arts and crafts house, having just finished a 10,000 square foot villa project in Cyprus. That 18 month project involved architectural renderings and redesign, interiors, lighting, design and management of production for furniture in the house and advisory support on grounds.
Partner & owner Robert Tornack, MBA, joined the business in 1996 when the landmark property was a boutique inn / bed & that gave Garden Oaks Fine Accommodation its name. Initially, his focus was on expanding and managing holdings. In 2002, with the acquisition of additional properties, he stepped into the General Manager role. He has established the infrastructure to ensure quality service along with an expanded portfolio of suites.
"We are grateful to Lee, Debra and Wendy for helping us build capacity on the operations side. Now itt's great to have Devon and Tyler helping out when needed. Colin has been leading the groundskeeping crew and as we are back from a living overseas, I'm looking forward to redesigning two heritage gardens."
Since 2006, "GOFA" has also served as a test bed for our joint work in intellectual capital, knowledge and records management. Rob is now consolidating our "best practices" into a guideline for publication and has returned to the General Manager role after four years abroad. It has been gratifying to receive requests from three other property owners to manage their holdings. This is a potential area of development and will be undertaken at a pace that ensures the high standard of management of all properties.